Sunday, 22 September 2013

HMS Sophie - part IV

Lots of progress over the last few days, inclusive a minor color change as well. It took a few tests to get a color I was happy with, but the one seen below was what I ended up with. 

First shot of the first attempt at getting the yellow on the ship. The original Sophie didn't have the ekstra sides added (the two black stripes along the hull) and with the above scheme I was going for a checkerboard kind of style, where the open gunports and cannons would appear as black squares amongst the yellow line.

 Sadly the overall impression was that the entire ship looked a bit bland so I decided to paint it up black again and then paint the sidebars yellow instead. it also fit better with the bow that had the two yellow bars added.

Freehand attempt at stern decoration. It turned out fairly well I think.. even though my hands are shaking ;)

Masts being painted and a view of the deck. You can also see the first real glimpse of the new sidebards in yellow.. It gives much more "sparkle" to the ship. 

Handheld spotlight (yeah - doesn't work that well)

Handheld flash on the port side (still doesn't work well)

Sideview with a test fitting of the masts and a better view of the yellow sidebars.

Topview where the brownish paint of the deck can be seen. I painted up a skylight at the quarterdeck though I am not sure there was one.. But it breaks up all the brown ;)

Stern view with the masts glued in.. hoping I was really done with it all.

Onwards to rigging. As per Mark Burgess instructions I took 3 lines of thread and bound them around the main mast just above the spar. Then I spread them out a little and glued a piece of card on to hold them in place.

A better view of the card that holds the line in place. (I need to remember to paint that up as well ;))

All the rigging has been done, and heres a few shots from different angles. After all the lines had been added, I painted them all with PVA glue to keep them in place and lend some strength to them as well. I might touch them up with a little bit of black though. I am stille considering adding a few horisontal lines to the current ratline setup, but I am afraid it will be a tad to fiddly to attempt.. Thick, shaking fingers and all.


After touching up the rigging with black, the next step is adding sails. I have still to decide if she should have full sails or just fighting sails..